Kuthiraivali is called Jhangora in Hindi, Barnyard Millet in English, Kodisama in Telugu, Bhagar in Marathi.
The following are the seven benefits of eating Kuthiraivali rice
- Increases the strength of muscles due to its higher protein content.
- Regulates the glucose levels in blood due to its high glycemic index.
- Helps to fight against anemia as it has high iron content.
- Helps in controlling bowl movement due to its higher fiber content.
- Improves the strength of bones due to its higher calcium content.
- Is very low in fat and calories than regular rice and thus helps to in weight loss.
- Provides a nice does of phosphorus to the body that helps in building strong bones.
The following is the nutrition present in 100 gms of Kuthiraivali rice
- Carbohydrates : 65 gms
- Protein : 7 gms
- Fiber : 9 gms
- Calcium : 20 m gms
- Iron : 5 m gms
- Phosphorus : 280 m gms
The following is the best way to prepare Kuthiraivali rice
Kuthiraivali rice cooks very easily.
- Just soak the rice in the water for 10 minutes.
- Place in cooker and cook for 10 to 15 minutes on medium heat.
The rice can be had with sambar or other traditional dishes.
Fiber also has various beneficial effects on health.Fiber lowers blood sugar levels, Fibre doe not need insulin to be disposed and therefore it is not counted as a carbohydrate.
- Fruits : To sneak in dietary fibre in your food fruits are the excellent source of insoluble fiber. Fruits are very important when you want to increase fiber in your daily diet.They also very rich in all vitamins and minerals and gives all the energy needed for the body through the day.Instead of drinking all types of soda it is always better to go for fruit crushes ,fruit smoothies, fresh fruit juices etc.
- Vegetables :Vegetables have high fiber and it is the best way to increase fiber intake.Vege salad with baby spinach,carrots,celery,cucumber and some suitable ranch over the raw veges will make the dish very tasty and healthy too.Adding veges to the soups like chicken soup,vegetable soup,spicy chillies,stews and pasta sauces are also a way to add veges to our diet.
- Chia seeds are also very high in fire.Chia seeds are very small seeds which comes along with mint family.They are whole grain food and they are mostly grown organically.All carbohydrates in chia seeds are fibre.As they are very high in fibre chia seeds help to loose weight.Add Chia in your fruit smoothies, puddings.Make chia powder and add then in the bread batter while making bread at home and also dosa batter too.
- Flax seeds are an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids, iron, zinc, copper, calcium, protein, potassium, magnesium, folate, soluble fiber.Taking one spoon of flax seeds will help to prevent diabetes.Add flax seeds powder to milk,use flax oil instead of vege oil or you can also mix vege oil with flax seed oil for cooking.
- Snack on peanuts,cereal,chocolate covered nuts,raisins,popcorn (not microwave popcorn),corn etc.
- Drink buttermilk everyday for breakfast and lunch.
- Whole Wheat Bread :While making sandwich make it a point to use whole grain wheat bread.
- Oatmeal :For breakfast try to have oatmeal with flaxseeds atleast twice a week.
- Beans : Snack on boiled and slightly salted red beans or any beans for the evening.
- Dried Fruits :Also have dried fruits like dried apricots, dates, figs, peaches, pears, and bananas.