There is special reason why banana stem is good for health, Because it clears stones in kidney while now a day people suffer to clear in hospital for lots of money and pain by operations.In Tamil banana stem is known as vazhlai thandu.
Benefits of Banana Stem:
- Banana stem is a good and tasty dish in Tamilnadu like vazhlai thandu juice, vazhlai thandu kolambu and vazhlai thandu poriyal.
- Having the vegetable once a week helps to remove stones in gall bladder.
- Banana stem is a filling dish and hence will keep you filled for a long time which in turn helps to reduce weight fast .
- One cup of banana stem juice solves hyper acidity .
- It prevents constipation since it is rich in fiber content.When consumed for constipation do not filter the juice.It is better to have it with the pulp.
- It treats diabetic patient because it has more fiber content which can not raise blood sugar level.
- It cures urinary tracts infection because it is good in fiber and reduces urinary bladder problems.
Instruction to make Banana Stem Juice:
- Take a fresh cut banana stems.
- Peel the outer layer, cut into thin rounds.
- Remove the fiber between the rounds.
- Cut the rounds into small pieces.
- Soak it in buttermilk thinned down with a little bit of water.
- Dry roast cumin seeds and powder it using mixer.
- Take the required amount of banana stem from the buttermilk.
- Add fresh yogurt, roasted cumin powder, salt, fresh pepper powder and grind to a fine paste.
- Thin it down with little bit of boiled water.
- Your healthy banana stem juice is ready.
v Don’t add too much of roasted powder.
v Store the left over banana stem soaked in the buttermilk in the refrigerator.
v Add the cut banana stem as soon as into the buttermilk, else it discolored.
v Drink the juice immediately.
Recipe for banana stem side dish( poriyal along with rice)
Plantain Stem Stir Fry
Banana stem – 2 cup
Moong dal – 2 tbs
Grated Coconut – 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Oil- 2 tsp
Salt as required
For the seasoning
Mustard -1 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing – a pinch
Urad dal -1 tsp
Green chilli – 1- 2 (slit it)
Curry leaves – little
Cook moong dal /Pasi parruppu separately in a little water till soft. Set it aside.
1. Heat 2 tsp of oil add mustard seeds, when it splutters add hing, urad dal, green chillies and curry leaves.
2. When the dhal turns golden brown add the chopped plantain stem (strain the buttermilk and add the plantain stem alone), turmeric powder, salt needed and cook covered till plantain stem becomes soft. Sprinkle water in between to prevent it from getting burnt or stuck in the bottom.
3. Once the stem is cooked, add the cooked moong dal/pasi parruppu, grated coconut and mix it well. Switch off the flame.
Banana stem curry is ready to be served as an accompaniment for rice.